It has been a little while since we shared a delicious recipe with you from the lovely Dana. So, we are very excited to be able to share her chocolate lavender cupcake recipe! I could stare at this photograph for ages -it is just too beautiful, not to mention scrumptious looking Enjoy!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Lavender Buttercream
For the cupcakes:
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
For the lavender buttercream:
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tbsp dried lavender – (combine the milk and dried lavender into a bowl with a lid and set in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours, preferably overnight, to infuse)
- 2 cups icing (powdered) sugar
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter- softened
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Line a muffin pan with cupcake wrappers.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and powder, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the cups 1/2 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
For the buttercream:
- Infuse the milk and dried lavender as stated above in ingredients.
- Using a strainer, strain the infused lavender milk to remove the dried lavender.
- Sift icing sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer, and add in the softened butter. Mix on low until combined.
- Slowly pour in the infused milk. When combined, increase the speed to high for 5 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost and decorate cupcakes as you like.